Thursday 5 January 2012

New Year’s Resolutions

Hi Friends, 

First of all Happy New Year! 

Well it that time of year to re-assess and set targets for the coming year. To be honest im both scared and quite exited looking into the unknown and looking forward to the crazy adventures im sure I will have. Since last blog I have done the smoke patch thing for 12 weeks, and since that slipped back on for a while but im re-focussed and hoping the New Year I will stay on track and be fit and healthy. I noticed also towards the end of the year I almost put on a stone in weight so I need to get back into training to burn off those cal’s !

Anyhow with regard to what I’ve been doing training wise, well not much has changed. I continue to regularly swim but only for about 15 mins each day. The last couple of weeks iv clocked about 4 runs which im pleased with and especially tonight with my first 6 mile run in several months. It went very well especially because I also managed to take my dog with me on a dark country road run with most of it on non pavement roads. I used my new Petzl Tikka XP head torch which I would highly recommend as it makes those dark dangerous road runs a lot safer and more fun. Me and my training partner (McGregor the dog) startled field of sheep and also a field of a few horses that where in nearby fields as we ran past.

Unfortunately I have not been doing any cycling but hopefully I will soon. My aim in the coming months is to initially focus on running, then introduce weekend cycles and hopefully the odd cycle to work, March time increase long swims (as I will be doing April 5k swimathon) then May the Belfast Marathon. After this my priority aim is the half ironman in Dungannon. I am going to aim to beat my PB of 6hrs 4 mins for this. If into the latter part of the year I could do bonus aims these would be either of /all of: - Dublin /Belfast Maracycle, Mourne Way Half Marathon and finally possibly another half ironman  

This year I would also like to introduce some cross training and also try out some specific workout types (eg tempo run, fartlek runs, speed intervals). I might also look into self testing lactate threshold.

Before I leave I forgot to mention that I might do a blog listing the podcasts from itunes I regularly listen to. These are mostly triathlon related but I find them very helpful and motivating.

Best of luck to fellow fitness bloggers out there for the New Year!

Take care,

Phil J

No comments:

Post a Comment