Thursday 19 January 2012

Stuck for Words and Waving to Cows

Dumbstruck!
Went to the launch meet up of the NI Decaman at Chainreaction store tonight. Went with main intention of meeting thee Gerry Duffy and hoping he would be doing a short talk about his events he has done (32 marathons in 32 days around Ireland ) then recently doing a Decaman (10 ironmans, 10 days) (and winning!).
When I arrived a bit early I quickly realised it was only a meet and greet session and promotional launch for the first NI Decaman run by Tri Limits. To be honest I was a bit overwhelmed whilst waiting to speak with Gerry as I stood and waited around and decided to browse around the store.

I was one of the few people on my own and the main key people at the launch where busy chatting to each other and getting about 100 friggin photos taken, I felt like a stalker in the background J eventually things quietened down and I was struck by the fact that 3 key sets of people were there that are involved in my challenge journeys over time  - Neill Grainger from Ulster Cancer Foundation (I went a few years back with him to Ben Nevis for charity fundraiser), then there was Robert from Tri Limits (whom organised my last half ironman for me last year), and finally Gerry, whom is currently someone who I hope to be a bit like with my crazy desire to hopefully do an Ironman and Ultra Marathon run sometime in the future.

I usually have little difficulty in chatting away to new people and rarely get nervous, but struck by these factors and the craziness of these inspiring people in front of me i quickly became nervious and dumbstruck.
Then when I eventually got round to finally plucking up the courage to speak to Gerry and ask him to sign my book ‘who dares runs’ I forgot the questions I wanted to ask him and forgot to ask him for a photograph.
At least I suppose I got his autograph and he wished me well to ‘good luck with the training’.

I also forgot to ask the guys from Tri Limits about maybe doing the cycle leg 112 mile portion in July single portion event of the Decaman events over July. Nonetheless, July I hope will have other priorities and if I don’t get the long cycle done then I’d be happy if I can do the Dublin Maracycle at least.

Endorphins Running High!
Since last time thankfully I have continued doing two or three runs a week and yesterday even did a commute to work on bike which felt great. My dog mcgregor has been taken a few times and he is loving it but im sure he thinks im crazy when he see’s me waving and saying hello to the horses and cows as I run past – not sure he’d understand that when your filled with natures natural drug euphoria it makes you do crazy things!


Until next time………c ya later and ‘enjoy your run’

No comments:

Post a Comment